Monday, December 22, 2008

Jany-Rae Seda at the Basement Gallery

I liked these pictures by Jany-Rae Seda so much I sketched three of them. There's a preciseness to the lines because of how sharp the pencils are, but that's contrasted with how quick, gestural and imprecise the actual forms are, and how softly and subtly they're colored. Seda told me she draws them all in 15 minutes or less, then does a water wash over the pictures, then adds color the wash.


Seda saw me sketching some of her pictures, including this first one. "I take it as a compliment that you love the pubic hair," she said.


I wanted to color my sketches while I was in the gallery, so I used my pastels for the colors and rubbed a dirty shading tool on the gray areas. It's as close as I could get without actually using her technique; I didn't have watercolors there, and even if I did it would have been impractical to whip them out in a gallery.


"I rip pictures out of magazines and imagine the people naked," Seda told me. "You should do that."

No comments: