Saturday, June 21, 2008

What I See


This is my rendering of Marsden Hartley's One Portrait of One Woman. I'm pretty sure about this one: It's definitely a symbolic portrait Hartley did of Gertrude Stein representing one of his cherished memories of her: the time she burned down a McDonald's for offering her a Coke when she asked for a hot cup of tea.
According to the museum's writeup next to the painting, this is actually a symbolic portrait of Gertrude Stein, but according to the museum writeup, the painting symbolizes Stein because the colors represent the countries she lived in, the teacup represents Stein's favorite beverage, the word "moi" indicates her sense of self-importance, and the arches and flames invoke some sort of unidentified ritual they shared.
I like my version better.

No comments: