Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Ben Wilson, Erin Ruiz and John Warfel in the Basement


I sketched this rendering of "Pink Lemonade" by Ben Wilson, which is currently hanging in the Basement Gallery, on the Friday before last. I got about a third of the way into it before I really thought about what I'd gotten myself into. Holy crap, hands are hard to draw. I think it came out okay, though. I like the spot color.


This is "Floating" by Erin Ruiz. As usual, I started a little too far down the page and didn't give myself quite enough room. As you might guess from the title, her right sock foot is not touching the ground.


This is just a partial from John Warfel's "PB & J 4 Life" (I think the rest of it had the sandwich flying off a lunch counter that also contained a wormy apple). If I ever get a tattoo, I want it to be of a flying sandwich.

For those who don't know, the Basement Gallery is under new ownership. The new owners plan to continue showcase a lot of Idaho artists, but will also show work from around the Northwest and from their other gallery in East Sussex, England. I think it's a win for local artists, though, because the owners will also be showing Idaho artists in their gallery in England.

I've already been drawing pictures on and off from exhibits at BAM, whether they've been created locally or not -- the idea being to show what you can see in Boise -- so I don't think the ownership change will affect my sketching practices.

No comments: